The Senior Stress Analysis Engineer reports to Engineering Leadership and whose focus is performing independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out a sequence of engineering tasks. This position works under a moderate to low level of supervision. Independent technical decisions on work are covered by precedents; this position seeks direction/guidance on novel or controversial problems. In addition, this position may participate in project-specific relationship building with Customers, Suppliers, individuals or organizations.
This position will support primarily structural and thermal analysis.
- Structural and thermal analysis of electromechanical systems
- Support both components (motors / brakes / clutches / sensors) all the way through more complex systems (linear and rotary actuators and associated electronic controllers, cockpit controls)
- Mix of classical first principals physics calculations and higher fidelity simulations (finite element analysis)
- Support both development of new platform technologies and execution of existing platforms to new applications
- Creates analysis tools and standards used by the rest of the engineering community
- Plans, schedules and coordinates detailed analysis phases of a project. Performs analysis of moderate to complex components and systems with minimal guidance.
- Competent with basic analysis techniques. Devises new approaches to problems encountered.
- Provides direction to level 1 and 2 Analysts. May mentor level 1 and 2 Analysts. Create self-development plan.
- Participates in peer and design reviews. Review, critique, and edit reports.
- Develop/improve techniques and tools to assist project and design engineering. Actively contribute the Woodward Engineering Manual.
- Interacts with internal departments and customers to identify and mitigate design risks associated with their analysis discipline.
- Creates analysis models to support robust and reliable designs. Validate model results against test data, identify any significant differences and source.
- Writes reports and gives presentations to customers and internal management.
- Demonstrates awareness of multiple customer requirements and defines analysis objectives which specifically addresses the requirements and verifies compliance.
- Supports failure investigations.
- Assist Test Engineering with test planning - gage location, gage ranging.
- May participate in IRAD/special projects to develop novel technologies, or methods.
- Active participant in failure investigations and development of effective corrective actions.
- Performs mechanical analysis on moderately complex subsystems and systems including dynamic and nonlinear effects using analytical and computational methods. Analysis disciplines may include:Static Stress, Dynamic Stress, Modal Response, Shock and Vibration, Fatigue, Thermal, Fluid Dynamics and Electromagnetics.
Materials and Equipment Used:
- PC and realted equipment.